Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Please don't judge me

Okay, so I feel like the worst father in the world. Last night, Jodi was working a night shift. Turned out to be a bad night for her, as you can see in the previous post. Unfortunately, it was a bad night for Abby, too. She fell out of bed around 4 or 5, and was obviously quite upset and hurt. She's fallen out of bed once or twice over the past year, but has never been seriously hurt. I gave her some motrin, and she calmed down and went back to sleep. This morning, she complained that her shoulder was hurting, but was able to get her shirt on and move her arm around without complaining, so I didn't think much of it, dropped her off at daycare, and went to school.
The room I now meet in is in the belly of a building where cell phone waves struggle to penetrate - over half of the cell phones in the class cannot get reception. As I only have a cheap pay as you go virgin mobile deal, there was obviously no way of contacting me. When class was over at noon, i checked the messages and had a few from Jodi. She was quite upset, said that daycare had called about Abby, and she needed to take her in for xrays because something was really wrong. I tried calling home, but nobody was there. Llong story short, I caught a ride with my friend to our doctor's office, who had gotten an xray for Abby. The result:



a broken clavicle.
Here I am, a 2nd year med student, giving my kid some motrin and sending her off to school with a broken bone. I feel completely terrible about it. What a great dad. So now Abby is in a little thing called a figure of eight splint to help it to heal, which it will completely within a couple of weeks. She is being so brave about it, only whimpering every now and then if she stretches it too much. Needless to say, we went out and bought a little railing for the bed so this won't happen again. Poor thing.

So classes started back up with a vengeance and we're going full steam ahead. Wish us luck with the coming semester. In the meantime, here are some pics from the summer that never got out there. Love you all!!









5 comments:

Mary said...

Oh! Poor baby! Man, you guys need any help one day, let me know. I'll drop Chloe off at her grandparents and book it down there. No charge, no worries. I mean it. Make it within the next couple weeks, cuz Tim and I will be moving at the end of August.

Rowdy Rowlett's said...

brave little abby! That's a story you'll look back on years down the road and laugh about.

Jodi- you look so awsome in that family picture. I need your strength and will power so I can look that good!

Rob - get on mike about getting in to school. We need him to get a move on something!

Jen Evans said...

Ditto on the help offer - we'll be down there as soon as you want us! With popsicles! For Abby! She's a brave kid. And you're not a bad dad - just a bad doctor. Bah hah, just kidding!!

Becca said...

You guys look fabulous! Fun summer pictures - can't believe how big Abby is getting!

Don't worry Robby - I'm sure that's happened to plenty of parents (even other parents in med school)! At least she'll have a fun story to tell when she's older!!

Ryan said...

HAHA look at how nice everyone is to you Rob...if you think I will be stop reading this post.

You might as well change profession if you can't listen to the poor pleas of a little one in pain from a broken bone. *note to self* do not let Rob diagnose my kids...Jodi you better follow him around to make sure he does right