Sunday, June 8, 2008

A little heat, anyone?

6 days to go.

I can't believe that it's so close - we only have a few days left before starting the next big chapter in our lives. We have boxes everywhere, a few dismantled pieces of furniture, and a few more...mantled pieces of furniture that need to be taken apart. And I've come to learn again that moving sucks. Not going to a new place, getting a new residence, or doing new things, but the actual act of moving - it sucks. Luckily I have a wife that is incredibly good at packing and getting ready early, so that at D-day minus 6 we have basically only the essentials unpacked. There is still a little bit to do, but well over half is done. Our place looks pretty jumbled at times, and it drives Jodi nuts. Poor Jodi, being married to me who can live in a jumbley place for a bit and be fine. All I can say for the packing part is I'm glad that I work where I do - I've been able to get all of the boxes we need from the loading dock there. Just sneak in when nobody is looking at swipe what I need - nothing to it. What are they going to do if I'm caught - fire me?
Jodi got a wonderful surprise the other day - beautiful flowers from "the Rowlett girls"

She wanted to be sure that those involved were thanked publicly - if this can be considered publicly. So to the 3 people that read this, Jodi says thank you if you helped send the flowers.
Over the weekend, we were fortunate enough to go and see a house burn. Over and over. It was awesome.

Ryan is finishing up with his firefighter course, and on Friday night they simulated a house burning so that they could show off to their friends and family what they have been learning for the past few months. The main thing they learned? If a house is on fire, run in (with protection, of course!) If I see a house on fire, I stay away, unless someone is inside. They have learned to run on in, and many of them are excited to. What? That doesn't make much sense. But it's what they do.

That's Ryan in the middle, looking out at Devan taking pictures. It was a lot of fun to watch; even Abby was enjoying the last one, when it was dark and you could see the huge flames shooting out of the windows and car they burned. She was really tired by then, but sat there watching and saying, "Put the fire out! Good job, uncle Rah-rah!"

It was a mild 90 degrees with about 1000% humidity. Not too bad. I was drenched within about 10 minutes, but it was nothing compared to Ryan and his classmates, who didn't complain nearly as much as me. I could at least wear shorts and a t-shirt and didn't have to lug around a hundred pounds worth of stuff. To see some much better pics and explanations of everything, see their blog, link over there ->
Today was our last Sunday here. It's a weird feeling. The other day, a couple in our ward pointed out that of the "non-permanent" members of the ward (i.e., students) we were the senior-most family. 6 years we've been here. That was pretty weird to hear, and made us almost more anxious to leave. Then they pointed out that we would be passing on that "honor" to them - they came a year after us, and have outlasted the other students that came that year. While we are really excited for what lies ahead, there are tons of people that we will really miss. We've felt such an outpouring of love some several people, sometimes from unexpected places, but always welcomed and appreciated. Jodi has been a teacher in Relief Society for several months, a daunting task for anyone, but especially so for her with nursing school and everything. And I have been lucky enough to be Deacon's Quorum adviser for the past 5 years. People sometimes thought I would only come for Sacrament, then leave. But our young men are great, and several expressed a desire to come help on Saturday morning, despite the fact that they would probably rather be sleeping. Maybe the offer of free donuts helped, I'm not sure. :)
This afternoon, we went to a party for my work that they were throwing for all of the departing people. We originally weren't planning on going, but decided kind of late that maybe it could be fun. There were tons of people there, and the food was awesome. When they got up to say a few words, I wasn't sure what really to expect, maybe a toast for good health and luck or something. Instead, my boss gets up there and talks about me a bit, says what I'm doping and where I'm going, then says they have some parting gifts for me. I was shocked, and a little embarrassed. I didn't know what to say. They had me open them right there. The first on was a joke gift, a play doctor's kit kind of thing. But the second one was an incredibly nice stethoscope. I was speechless. It was so nice and unexpected. I have been so fortunate to work for the guy that I work for these past 2 years. There are many people in our few labs that are totally awesome and who will really be missed.
Luckily, that "joke gift" was not so much of a joke for Abby - she knew immediately that it was for her.

She starts by checking Mommy's heart....

then takes her BP,


checks reflexes,

and temp.

She then finds the problem - a little spot which needs a band-aid.


What a cute little doctor!
So we're getting excited for the move. This Saturday doesn't look like it'll be nearly as bad as this weekend was, so hopefully nobody keels over from dehydration while going down the stairs with our dressers. I wouldn't want anything broken, we're trying to save money. So this time next week, I'll have to remove that little "almost" from our title. There is a Rowlett's bicycle shop in Richmond. Think they'll give family discounts? I'm sure we're related somewhere along the lines.

No comments: