Wednesday, May 28, 2008

BBQ and bathtime

Holidays don't come all that often around here. And in the next few years, they may even be less frequent. So we took advantage of the beautiful day on Monday and went to a local park and cooked hamburgers and hot dogs. Being the ever-so prepared guy that I am, matches and some sort of fire producer were obviously forgotten. Luckily, I'm full of enough hot air on most days to get something going, provided I have enough girl scout water. And an empty hot dog bag works perfectly as a plate. Other than those two problems, which we got around, everything went off pretty well.

The wind was blowing really hard - Abby is holding up some sort of plant life, which is blowing straight sideways.

It took a bit of coaxing, but once Abby realized that hot dogs cooked outside are the same as the ones Lisa her babysitter cooks inside, she gobbled it down.

Hmmm...I'm just not buying what she's selling.

We brought Abby's chalk along, and there was a concrete base to the table. So Abby got to have fun under the table....

and beg for scraps.

There was a great playground there that Abby was loving, but then in the nasty bathroom, due to an overzealous desire to maintain some sort of sanitary conditions, there was a small accident. I knew about it outside of the bathroom because Abby was kind of shouting it out to me. So, to her dismay, we were forced to cut our fun day a little short.

We were able to treat Abby to a bath that night, though - I say treat because she absolutely loves taking a bath (most days). And it can sometimes be fun - with enough soap and the right strategy, you can get good results.



So yes, in continuing our preparations for moving, we have made the decision to cancel our cable. Why? Self-punishment? Money? The little voices? Maybe a bit of all of the above. It's only two weeks, and we don't watch that much anyways. Sometimes we'll be talking with friends, and they'll go on and on about Lost, 24, West Wing, or some other show that's on that is really popular. And they'll turn to us and ask about it, and we might say something lame like "I've been lost before, and it sucks." Because we know nothing about any of the shows. Are we weird? Are we really missing out on something? Or are most people able to keep up with shows on a weekly basis? I guess TiVo can come in handy for that, but we're too cheap to go with that - we do it like in the 20th century, where if you miss the show, either wait for the rerun or it's gone forever.

And here's the quote of the week:
A commercial comes on about some store that claims their cotton clothes are organic. I ask how in the world they can call cotton organic (thinking, in my limited mind, that only food should be labeled organic). Jodi says it's how they grow it. "Organic cotton?" I reply. "How can it be anything but organic? They shave it off sheep!"

Wow.

Jodi stared at me for a minute until I realized what I had just said. No rebuttal was necessary. The dawning realization of my stupidity was enough. And I'm going to med school? Yikes.

No comments: